Paediatric Occupational Therapy Services
Experienced Paediatric and Infant Occupational Therapy
We offer home-based services from experienced Paediatric Occupational Therapists with many years experience working with infants and children. Our Occupational Therapists can assist with the following: delays in achieving infant or toddler developmental milestones; overcoming feeding challenges in infants and toddlers; assess safety in swallow in children affected with neurological chromosome and developmental anomalies or challenges.
Our Occupational Therapists have experience of working with a feeding team promoting an increased acceptance of foods in children who will consistently refuse to eat or have very selective diets (only accepting to eat a certain texture or certain food group). We are happy to discuss your individual needs if you feel that our OT service may be required.
“Sharon the OT came to my house for a feeding assessment for my 13 month old boy who has a had time transitioning to solids and was considered a picky eater. Sharon was thorough in her interview and gave me tangible recommendations. She wrote them down right away and I was able to readily apply them. She was quite knowledgeable and was able to address my frustration as a mother and quickly gave me tips to turn around my behavior and baby J’s behavior around mealtime. She also gave me great tips to share with the daycare staff to help them also curve J’s behavior around mealtime. I am so much happier, he is so happy a meals now and he is enjoying tasting and playing with different textures.” Soledad from Toronto
Contact us today to book your complimentary 15 minute telephone consultation to discuss your needs with our Toronto Paediatric Occupational Therapist.
“Watching a child makes it obvious that the development of his mind comes through his movements. ”
— Maria Montessori
What does a Paediatric Occupational Therapist do?
- OTs assess the developmental milestones of the child keeping in mind the child’s fine motor, gross motor, visual motor, feeding and sensory needs.
- OTs could offer strategies to develop fine motor skills in order to get the hand ready for play and school. Did you know that tummy time would allow for better development of your baby’s hands?
- OTs can offer strategies for parents to better understand their highly sensitive child whose anxiety is quick to rise and slow to calm.
- Does your child dislike or avoid or constantly seek various sensory inputs such as noise, lights, different touch, dislike of cuddles, need for movement….???
“Jennifer was so sweet with our son George. We immediately felt comfortable around her. She is obviously extremely knowledgeable about feeding and introducing children to new foods and textures. Although I’ve done a lot of reading and research, she had tons of recommendations that I had never thought to try. She was also gentle in encouraging us to try new things and she worked with us, our parenting style, the tools we had at home, and what we had already been trying as a foundation for introducing our son to new textures. As an anxious new mom I’ve been so worried about my son’s progression with solid food, but Jennifer was really reassuring and gave us the confidence we needed to know we can do this. We will definitely be working with her moving forward and I’m so glad we found her!”
When do I know my child can benefit from the services of an OT?
- Does she appear floppy? Is my baby holding her head up straight?
- Does my baby bring her feet and hands to her mouth? Is she holding objects with both hands to bring to her mouth to explore?
- Is my baby showing any delays in her developmental milestones?
- Is my baby playing appropriately with toys for her developmental age?
- Is feeding your baby stressful? Does she gag or cough when being fed. Is she refusing her solids or is progressing too more textured food challenging?
Our Occupational Therapy service is covered by most insurance companies, please check with your insurance company on your level of coverage. Our Paediatric Occupational Therapy service is currently available in Oakville, Mississauga, Toronto and the GTA. Please contact us today on 1844 237 4686 for more details on our Toronto Paediatric Occupational Therapy .